Turkey bacon gained popularity in recent years as a healthy alternative to traditional pork bacon. If you’re new to cooking bacon, there are many questions you need answers to. First and foremost is this one: how long does turkey bacon last?
Fresh turkey bacon is hands down healthier than traditional bacon. The storage, cooking process, and even the way you serve it are the same as for pork bacon.
Get ready to enjoy good bacon with fewer calories. This is the easiest way to accommodate special diets that require low-calorie options.
- Is Turkey Bacon Healthy?
- How to Store Bacon
- How Long Does Turkey Bacon Last In The Freezer?
- How Long Does Bacon Last On The Counter?
- What Can I Do With Leftover Turkey Bacon?
- How Long Turkey Bacon Lasts in the Fridge After Opening?
- What Happens If You Eat Expired Bacon?
- How To Tell If It’s Gone Bad
Is Turkey Bacon Healthy?
Yes! Turkey bacon can be a healthier alternative to pork bacon for those who don’t or can’t eat pork, and those who are enjoying a reduced-calorie diet. It is important to note that bacon does have preservatives and is processed meat. There are healthier alternatives, like fresh meat.
How to Store Bacon
Whatever you do, avoid bad bacon with these simple storage tips.
- Unopened package of raw turkey bacon- use within 7 days of the sell-by date on the package.
- Opened package of bacon- use within 7-14 days. If the bacon starts to change color, it’s time to toss it. It is always a good idea to write the open date on opened products.
Tips To Extend Shelf Life And Keep Bacon Longer
The best way to extend the shelf life of unopened bacon is to freeze the bacon. You can use heavy-duty aluminum foil and place the raw meat in a single layer on the foil, top with another piece of foil, and repeat.
Then, place in shallow airtight containers and freeze. This makes it easy to take out a few pieces of turkey bacon at a time, and frozen turkey bacon has a shelf life of about 6-8 months. It is a good idea to make sure to do this by the sell-by expiration date.
How Long Does Turkey Bacon Last In The Freezer?
Unopened turkey bacon can last up to 8-months in the freezer as long as it is properly sealed. To avoid freezer burn, store bacon in a heavy-duty freezer bag or in the unopened store package.
If you divide the turkey bacon into smaller packages prior to freezing it, make sure it is sealed properly.
How Long Does Bacon Last On The Counter?
You should always refrigerate bacon as soon as possible. That being said, make sure to not consume any uncooked meat that has been left out for over two hours. At this point bacteria starts to interfere with the quality of the meat, and food poisoning becomes a concern.
Have you ever seen slimy bacon? Lactic acid bacteria, also known as Lactobacillales is a bad thing for raw bacon and other meats. Bad bacon or other fresh meat that is left our too long can make you sick, and food poisoning is something you want to make sure to avoid.
- Uncooked bacon- 2 hours
- Cooked bacon- 2 hours
What Can I Do With Leftover Turkey Bacon?
- Leftover bacon is delicious on sandwiches. Add a couple of bacon strips to your deli lunch meat and cheese sandwich, add a slice of tomato and enjoy! Use your favorite heat source (stovetop, microwave, air fryer, etc) to warm up the bacon.
- Crumble some up as a topping for Chicken Shrimp Alfredo.
- Use a Microwave-safe plate and pop some bacon into your microwave oven. Heat up those crispy bacon slices, and then add them to a tasty slice of avocado toast.
- Microwave and add some crumbled up in a quiche. Regular pork bacon works nicely for this as well. For best results, place slices on a cutting board and chop them up finely before adding to the quiche.
- Whether using real bacon or another type of bacon, adding leftover bacon in a pot of beans or even with green beans adds an amazing flavor and makes for the best quality side dishes around.
How Long Turkey Bacon Lasts in the Fridge After Opening?
Can it stay in the fridge for 7 days? 10? 20?
- Precooked Bacon– 5-7 days
- Raw– Once opened, use within 7 days
- Unopened– 7 days after the sell-by-date
Deli chicken meat has similar use-by best practices.
What Happens If You Eat Expired Bacon?
The sell-by-date should be strictly adhered to. After the sell-by-date, unopened expired bacon should be consumed within 7 days. IF THERE IS AN EXPIRATION DATE separate from the sell-by-date, it should not be consumed after this date.
Food poisoning involves stomach cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. You might also experience loss of appetite and low-grade fever, among other symptoms of food poisoning.
How To Tell If It’s Gone Bad
Spoiled bacon might have a sour smell and slimy texture. It can have a greying look to it. Food safety requirements are that food needs to be kept between 32 and 39 degrees F to prevent bacterial growth.
Even though many products contain sodium nitrite as a preservative, it is still imperative to follow these strict guidelines for both turkey and regular bacon. Food poisoning is not worth the risk. Also, if your turkey has a bad smell, toss it.