Whip up this honey soy chicken for any night of the week. Chicken thighs and drumsticks baked in the oven until juicy and tender. Serve with your favorite side dishes, or shred and add to a salad. This soy chicken is loaded with sweet and savory flavors.
This baked honey chicken recipe is one I love to make and pair with an Asian salad, and some veggies. The whole family loves it. Now you can make this keto by using keto friendly ingredients. A family favorite that takes minimal effort to prep and get it cooking in the oven. Give this honey soy chicken recipe a try for dinner tonight.
Any chicken pieces works for this recipe. I find dark meat offers a juicy end results, but you are welcome to reach for chicken breasts if you want a boneless option.
This Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks and Thighs Recipe Is….
- Wholesome Meal
- Made in a baking dish in oven for hands off cooking
- Simple Ingredients
- Asian Chicken Recipe
- Budget Friendly
- A great oven baked chicken thighs recipe or drumsticks
- Family Friendly recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need for this honey baked ginger and soy chicken. The soy honey marinade ingredients on this chicken is phenomenal.
- Chicken – Any cuts of chicken you want. Skin on or skinless chicken thighs, leg quarters, drumsticks, etc.
- Soy Sauce – If you want less sodium use the light soy sauce. Coconut Aminos can be substituted
- Sesame Seeds
- Ginger – You can use grated ginger, ginger paste, or even 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- Sesame Oil
The honey soy sauce as it bakes becomes a sticky sauce. This helps to really flavor your chicken. You have tender chicken that is flavorful, juicy, and an easy dinner that practically cooks itself.
How to Make
The full directions on how to make this honey soy chicken are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through.
- Preheat the oven and place lemon slices on bottom of the 9×13 pan.
- Mix together your soy sauce, honey, ginger, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Whisk till combined. Then divide mixture into two bowls.
- Place your chicken pieces on top of lemons in the baking dish. Brush with part of the mixture.
- Bake as directed.
- Drain the drippings from pan, into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add in the other portion of marinade.
- Simmer down the sauce until it thickens. Then place the sauce back over the chicken and broil for a few minutes to crisp it up and make the chicken sticky from sauce.
Expert Tip: Chicken needs to read 165 degrees F of the internal temperature of chicken. Make sure that you use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is fully cooked. Do not touch a bone when checking temperature as it will give a false reading.
Ways to Serve Honey Baked Chicken
There truly are countless ways to serve up this honey soy garlic chicken. Here are just a few of the ways we enjoy to eat it in our home.
- Serve with brown rice, white rice, or Jasmine rice. The excess sauce soaks into the rice and adds so much flavor.
- De-bone the chicken and make into an Asian simple salad.
- Pair with a crisp salad.
- Serve as lettuce wraps, by removing bones from chicken and placing in a butter lettuce leaf.
- Serve next to your favorite side dishes. Mashed potatoes, cucumber and onions, spicy coleslaw, etc.
Not sure how to store leftover honey-soy glazed chicken? Simply place in a plastic or glass container with a lid and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
Then when you want to eat just warm up in the microwave, or if you opt for oven then cover with aluminum foil. The soy sauce glaze will burn at the reheating stage if left uncovered.
You can also freeze any of the soy sauce chicken you don’t plan to eat right away. Just store in a freezer friendly container or freezer bag for 3-4 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat as you wish.
Variations To Recipe
Here are a few variations to this baked honey ginger chicken. It is an easy recipe that is easy to change up ingredients to fit your preference.
- Dice up green onions and sprinkle on top of the chicken once done.
- Fresh ginger does give the freshest flavor, but you can use dried ginger.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder instead.
- Feel free to sear the chicken in olive oil skin side down, to help crisp up the skin before you bake it in the oven.
- Add in a splash of dry sherry to enhance the flavor of the marinade even more.
- For a kick of heat you can add in some hot sauce to help balance out the sweet honey flavor.
- The splash of sesame oil helps for the Asian flavor, but if you don’t have it, olive oil will work.
You can make a cornstarch slurry. Mix a tablespoon of water with a tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir it into the sauce as it is in the skillet on the stove when the sauce is nice and hot. It will thicken the sauce within a couple of minutes.
You can meal prep this chicken recipe. Just put the chicken in a bag with all the marinade. Then when ready slice lemon and place chicken on top along with all the sauce. Bake as directed, until the chicken is done. Then if you want remove juices and thicken on stove in a pan the same at the end of cooking. You can prep 24 hours in advance.
- Printable Cheat Sheet For Chicken Cook Times
- Instant Pot Maple Chicken
- Roasted Cornish Hens
- Air Fried Chicken Strips
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or our Facebook Group!
- 8 Pieces of chicken, bone in legs and thighs
- ⅓ cup Soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar free honey
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 Lemon cut into slices
- Chopped parsley and sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and spray your 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Slice a lemon and place wedges into the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl you will whisk your soy sauce, honey, ginger, sesame oil, and mix well.
- Split the sauce into two separate bowls.
- Place chicken on top of the lemon wedges, and then pour half the sauce over the chicken.
- Bake for 40 minutes, and then remove the drippings into a saucepan, and heat over medium high heat. Pour in the rest of the sauce, and cook and allow it to simmer and thicken.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken, if it is not done return to the oven and finish cooking until it reaches 165 degrees F.
- When your chicken is fully done, pour the sauce over the chicken, and serve up this honey soy chicken.
Chicken - You can use any type of chicken you want. Just adjust the cook time according to the chicken.
Internal Temperature - Your chicken needs to reach 165 degrees F internally to be fully cooked. Make sure to use a meat thermometer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 667mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g